Living cost amounts
From 1 February 2018, the 12 month living cost is:
- student/guardian – AUD20,290
- partner/spouse – AUD7,100
- child – AUD3,040.
Where you need to provide evidence of financial capacity, you will be able to demonstrate this by providing one of the following:
- 12 months of funds option:
- Provide evidence of funds to cover travel to Australia and 12 months living, course and (for school aged dependants) schooling costs for the student and accompanying family members
- If you are coming to Australia for a short course, you will only need to show evidence of funds for the intended period of stay.
- Annual income option:
- Provide evidence that you meet the annual income requirement.
- Secondary exchange students:
- Provide an Acceptance Advice of Secondary Exchange Students (AASES) form (secondary exchange students only).
- Foreign Affairs or Defence students:
- Provide a letter of support from Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade or Department of Defence.
If you are using the 12 months fund option to demonstrate financial capacity, an accurate calculation of funds is required. Below is an outline of the funds to calculate. The type of evidence includes money deposit or loan with an approved financial institution, government loan, scholarship or sponsorship.
The annual income option requires students to provide evidence of personal annual income of at least AUD60,000. For students accompanied by family members the amount is AUD70,000. The income demonstrated must be the personal income of your spouse (who is not travelling with you) or parents. In circumstances where both of your parents are working, their combined income can be considered for this requirement. In all cases, the evidence of annual income must be provided in the form of official government documentation, such as a tax assessment.
Where our online application system indicates that documentary evidence of financial capacity is required, it is important that you attach these documents to your visa application prior to lodgement. Failure to do so may result in visa refusal.